A moderated poster competition will take place at the 2014 Vascular Annual Meeting. Accepted abstracts selected by the SVS Program Committee for poster presentation will go through a two-round judging process. The first round will be a poster presentation of accepted posters divided into topic groups (e.g. venous, aortic disease, basic research, etc.) at the Poster Session on Friday, June 6. The winners from each group will proceed to a final round to present their poster in a Plenary Session, the Poster Runoff: Championship Round on Saturday, June 7.
First Round: Friday, June 6, 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Authors in each topic group will have 3 minutes for presentation and 2 minutes for discussion to an audience of peers and SVS program committee moderators. Presenting authors may only present one poster during this part of the competition. If the presenting author has more than one accepted poster, then another must present. The 5-minute limit will be strictly enforced. Since this is a competition, it is expected that presenters will not be senior faculty. Ten to 12 groups will present their posters concurrently. The authors and moderator of each group will rate all posters in that group, so presenters are required to be present for the entire session. Based on a peer scoring system, a winner will be selected from each topic group, who then proceeds to the Final Round.
Final Round: Saturday, June 7, 11:30 am – noon
The winner from each topic group will make a presentation at the Plenary Session using PowerPoint slides. Each finalist will have 3 minutes for presentation and 2 minutes for discussion. The 5-minute limit will be strictly enforced. Questions will come from the SVS President and President Elect. The winner from each topic group who makes a presentation will receive a cash prize, and there will be an audience vote for the top three winners.
*Note: An abstract submission accepted to the SVS poster session that has not been submitted as a paper to the Journal of Vascular Surgery does not preclude submission as an abstract to the following regional and national society meetings:
Eastern Vascular Society
New England Society for Vascular Surgery
Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society
Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery
Southern Association for Vascular Surgery
Western Vascular Society
Several societies (Eastern Vascular and Western Vascular) preclude presentation at the Championship Round if a paper has also been accepted at their annual meeting. The poster must still be presented at the initial poster session of the Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Abstracts accepted for poster presentation will be displayed in Exhibit Hall of the Hynes Convention Center, Boston, MA
- Poster presentation is scheduled with 3 minutes for presentation and 2 minutes for discussion.
- Authors must be present during the entire 90-minute session to which they are assigned for peer grading of all abstracts in the group.
- The presenting author must be registered to the Vascular Annual Meeting.
- Presenting authors may only present one poster. If the presenting author has more than one accepted poster, then another must present.
- Since this is a competition, it is expected that presenters will not be senior faculty.
Display and Set-up
- Accepted posters will have to fit on one side of a tack board 4 feet high and 8 feet wide for the first round of the Poster Competition.
- Authors should prepare a PowerPoint presentation for the Final Round in case they win the First Round. Should that happen authors will then need to stop by the Speaker Ready Room (Hynes Convention Center, Room 300) to submit their presentations and confirm participation in the Final Round. Download the Powerpoint template here.
- Authors will be assigned a poster ID, which will be displayed on their assigned poster board (See floor plan).
- The poster can be set up on Thursday, June 5 at noon and may stay up until Saturday, June 7 at noon.
- Posters not dismantled by noon on Saturday, June 7 will be discarded. SVS does not assume responsibility for loss or damage to posters.
- Costs associated with creating and shipping the poster display will be the responsibility of the authors.
SVS does not reimburse expenses or cover meeting registration fees for accepted presenters.Online registration information will be available in early March at VascularAnnualMeeting.org.
Manuscript submission to the Journal of Vascular Surgery for those accepted to present at the Poster Presentation Session is not a requirement, but is encouraged. Manuscripts should be submitted electronically to the Journal of Vascular Surgery at http://www.editorialmanager.com/jvs prior to presentation at the Vascular Annual Meeting and no later than June 16, 2014.