Please note: Information and applications for the 2015 Vascular Annual Meeting Travel Scholarship Program will be available in late 2014.
SVS is funding travel scholarships for medical students and general surgery residents to the 2014 Vascular Annual Meeting at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston, MA. Please note pre-med students with a strong interest in vascular surgery also are encouraged to apply.
These scholarships provide aspiring vascular surgeons with an opportunity to learn more about the latest treatments and research in vascular disease. During the meeting, trainees will be able to attend scientific sessions and network with leaders in the field. SVS will provide educational programming designed exclusively for students and residents. Scholarship recipients also will have the opportunity to participate in open and endovascular simulation training, a surgical skills competition, attend didactic lectures specially geared toward them, and participate in a residency fair.
· Up to a $450 travel award* (to be used toward the cost of travel, housing, and subsistence during the period of
the Vascular Annual Meeting)
· Complimentary meeting registration ($250 value)
· Exclusive Open & Endovascular Simulation Training Session (scholarship recipients only)
· Dedicated General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Educational and Networking Program
· Opportunity to participate in the Shadow Program
· Mentorship Program with Assigned Mentor/Welcome Buddy
*The final travel award monetary amount will be determined after all applications have been reviewed.
· Active interest in vascular surgery
· Currently enrolled as:
o Medical Student; or
o Pre-Med Student; or
o General Surgery Resident.
· LOCAL APPLICANTS: Please note local* residents/students are not eligible to receive the monetary travel award but are encouraged to apply to be considered for an invitation to the Exclusive Open & Endovascular Simulation Training Session, as well as receive complimentary registration ($250 value). Please be sure to select you are a local student/resident on the application form. *Local applicants are considered to be within 100 miles of the greater Boston area. This will include applicants from cities such as Providence, RI and Worcester, MA.
This year, in addition to the traditional online application, scholarship applicants will now have the opportunity to submit a video application instead of the traditional online application. Please note: only one type of application format may be submitted by each applicant.
Applicants must submit a complete online application providing the following information:
o Demographic information such as training level, institution/school currently attending, etc.
o Statement (200 words maximum) on applicant’s interest in vascular surgery and why they want to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting (Applicants are encouraged to have their statement ready before starting the online application as their work cannot be saved in progress.
The video must be must be no more than two minutes in length and convey the following:
o Include your full name, year in residency or medical school, and name of institution
o Describe your interest in vascular surgery
o Describe why you want to attend the 2014 Vascular Annual Meeting
The videos should be no more than 150 mb in size and may be in any of the following formats: .mov, .wmv. Each video entry must be accompanied by a completed video application form (to be completed online separately). Please email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Please note the application submission site is now closed.
· Please note, in order to be considered for the scholarship, all applications must be complete.
· All scholarship applicants will be notified in early April regarding their application status.
Applying for Multiple SVS Scholarships
Please note students/residents are allowed to submit applications to each of the following scholarship programs: General Surgery Resident/Medical Student Travel Scholarship and the Minority Medical Student Travel Scholarship, but are eligible to receive only one award per year.
Online applications will undergo a blind review by the SVS Resident & Student Outreach Committee. Due to the nature of applications, video applications are not blinded. For all applications, priority will be given to students/residents who:
· Have not previously received any type of SVS Travel Scholarship;
· Are not presenting an abstract/poster at the 2014 Vascular Annual Meeting; and
· Have not already matched into a vascular surgery training program.
Applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision via email by early April. Scholarship recipients will need to confirm their attendance at the resident/student scholarship program each day in order to receive the $450 travel award. Please note the travel award check will be payable directly to the student/resident and distributed onsite.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions or for additional information.
Updated June 2014