Vascular Web Logo

SVS  SVS Foundation
A A A
VascularWeb

 Celebrate Baby Boomer Day With a Check-Up

June 16, 2011   Contact: Sue Crosson-Knutson   312-334-2311  scknutson@vascularsociety.org

CHICAGO - June 21 is National Baby Boomer Recognition Day a.k.a. party time for the nation’s largest demographic of 78.2 million Americans born between 1946 and 1964. Baby Boomers grew up in the 1950s and 1960s. Many Baby Boomers maintain active lifestyles and are expected to outlive previous generations.

“Health care is important for Baby Boomers,” said vascular surgeon, David H. Stone, a member of the Society for Vascular Surgery®.  “This generation tends to enjoy active lifestyles and seeks pro-active healthcare measures such as knee replacement surgeries and stents for blocked arteries.”

As Baby Boomers age, their cholesterol and blood pressure levels increase. “The build-up of cholesterol in the blood vessels can lead to blockages and plaque formation in the arteries,” said Dr. Stone. “For example, a blockage in the carotid artery in the neck can lead to a stroke.”

Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in America according to 2010 National Vital Statistics. Last year, 137,000 American died of a stroke. Vascular screenings can help detect
vascular blockages.

According to the American Heart Association, 75 percent of cholesterol comes from the liver and cells within the body. Heredity plays an important role in the body’s production of cholesterol. The other 25 percent of cholesterol comes from ingested foods.  

“The good news is that one can lower one’s cholesterol with regular exercise and a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables,” said Dr. Stone. “An annual cholesterol test is recommended. If needed, certain drugs can help lower cholesterol.”
The introduction of a few dietary substitutions that can help Baby Boomers increase their intake of “good” (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) fats and limit their intake of “bad” (saturated and trans) fats.
 
Good fats include olive, canola, and sunflower oils. Soft tub margarine is preferred. Enjoy at least one omega-3 fat daily such as salmon, sardines, tuna, or walnuts. Choose lean meats and milk products. Bad fats include animal fats and full-fat dairy products such as butter, cream, whole milk, ice cream.

Additional guidelines for good health include:
  • Moderate physical activity such as walking 30 minutes daily.
  • Not smoking.
  • Maintaining a healthy body weight.

Additional vascular health information appears on: VascularWeb.org.
 
# # # 
 
About the Society for Vascular Surgery
The Society for Vascular Surgery® is a not-for-profit professional medical society, composed primarily of vascular surgeons, that seeks to advance excellence and innovation in vascular health through education, advocacy, research, and public awareness. SVS is the national advocate for 3,350 specialty-trained vascular surgeons and other medical professionals who are dedicated to the prevention and cure of vascular disease. Visit its website at www.VascularWeb.org® and follow SVS on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VascularHealth as well as on Facebook, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Contact Us

Society for Vascular Surgery
633 North Saint Clair Street, 22nd Floor | Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: 312-334-2300 | 800-258-7188
Fax: 312-334-2320
Email: vascular@vascularsociety.org

Follow Us

YouTube

VascularWeb® is the prime source for all vascular health and disease information, and is presented by the Society for Vascular Surgery®. Its members are vascular surgeons, specialists, and vascular health professionals who are specialty-trained in all treatments for vascular disease including medical management, non-invasive procedures, and surgery.