The Society for Vascular Surgery® (SVS) reimburses individuals for ordinary, necessary, and reasonable travel expenses that are directly related to SVS business. Reimbursement should be fair and equitable to the individual and SVS using the lowest logical fare. Travelers are encouraged to minimize costs wherever possible, and when reasonable and prudent.
For Board of Directors for Expenses Related to Attending Board Meetings
Members of the Board of Directors shall be entitled to the following reimbursement for expenses related to attendance at meetings of the Board of Directors:
- Full reimbursement of a coach airfare travel purchased in advance of the date of travel. SVS expects that a reasonable effort will be made to obtain the lowest fare possible. The purchase receipt is required for reimbursement. SVS encourages the use of the official travel agent, Gant, as airfares are direct billed to the Society and every effort is made to obtain the lowest airfare on SVS’ behalf
- SVS will cover the expense for lodging associated with official Board meetings. When possible and appropriate, Board members’ hotel arrangements will be made through the national office and direct billed to the SVS. Incidentals will not be billed to the master account, only room and tax. In situations where a master account has not been established, the SVS will reimburse hotel expenses directly to the board member in accordance with this reimbursement policy
- All other ordinary and necessary traveling expenses are reimbursable such as meals and ground travel. Please refer to the list below for additional guidelines governing reimbursement
- Requests for reimbursement are to be made using the reimbursement form provided by SVS. Requests for reimbursement are to be submitted within 30 days of each Board meeting
Board members will not be reimbursed for those meetings occurring during the Vascular Annual Meeting.
Prior to each Board meeting, the SVS national office will provide detailed information on travel arrangements and reimbursement guidelines.
For Officers, Committee and Task Force Members, and Others for Expenses Related to the Execution of Their Duties
Committee chairs, committee members, and other Society representatives will not be reimbursed for those meetings occurring during the Vascular Annual Meeting. For committee meetings that are scheduled at the time of other meetings where a majority of members may already be present (such as the ACS Clinical Congress), SVS will reimburse travel expenses only for those committee members who would not otherwise be attending the meeting.
- Air Travel
Full reimbursement of a coach airfare travel purchased in advance of the date of travel. SVS expects that a reasonable effort will be made to obtain the lowest fare possible. The purchase receipt is required for reimbursement. SVS encourages the use of the official travel agent, Gant, as airfares are direct billed to the Society and every effort is made to obtain the lowest airfare on SVS’ behalf. For trips greater than 3000 miles one-way, business class will be reimbursed.
- Mileage Expense
Mileage is reimbursed at the IRS rate for the actual number of miles driven. Cost of parking and tolls for approved business trips are reimbursable. Traffic fines and parking violations are not reimbursable
Authorized use of a personal automobile for SVS business will be reimbursed at the approved IRS rate.
- Rented Vehicle Expense
Rental vehicles should not be used unless prior approval has been obtained by the Executive Director. Travelers should arrange to rent the least expensive vehicle that is safe and comfortable, up to a mid-sized sedan, in the Society’s and their own name and pay for all relevant charges
- Taxi, Limousine
Actual expenses including tips are reimbursed for in-city business-related travel and to/from the airport. Must identify the origin and destination of the trip and business purpose of the trip on the staff reimbursement form
- For individual travel, direct billing of hotel/lodging expense is not always an option. The traveler is expected to pay for lodging and submit the expense on an expense report
- If attending a non-SVS sponsored meeting, the traveler should use the discounted housing provided by the sponsor, if available
- Hotel reservations required for events other than the Society’s Annual Meeting should be secured on an individual basis
- Master billing will be arranged for all Society meetings. Room and tax only will be applied to the master account. Travelers will be expected to pay incidental expenses upon checking out of the hotel and should submit receipts for meals and other business related charges for reimbursement
- Should a traveler fail to cancel a reservation with the Meeting Planner or hotel directly, the individual will be responsible for payment of the hotel’s no show charge
- If not provided by the Society, reimbursement is made for the actual and reasonable cost of meals including tips while traveling. Original receipts are required for meals over $25. The following guidelines for meal reimbursement apply to most major metropolitan cities: Breakfast $20; lunch $25; dinner $55. Meal tips are to be included with the cost of the meal
- Meals purchased for others are reimbursable for persons identified as those for whom the Society has responsibility for such expenses
- Actual tips paid for luggage handling and hotel staff are reimbursable. Tips for meals and taxis are included under those categories
Expense Reimbursement Reporting
- Expense reimbursement forms should be mailed to the SVS national office within 30 days from the completion of travel
- Every fully reimbursable expenditure must be substantiated with the original receipt for all expenses in excess of $25. Receipts should be attached to the expense report
- If paying for other reimbursed individuals, you must note on the expense report each individual who is covered on the receipt
- If a receipt is lost, the traveler must seek a duplicate. If this is impossible due to the nature of the receipt, a memo explaining the circumstances will be accepted
Updated August 2011