How to Apply
Complete the online application for Active Membership and submit along with all supplemental documents as outlined below by March 1 annually. Included in the supplemental documents is a payment form for the required $100 non-refundable application fee. For questions concerning the online application, please telephone 800-258-7188 or email email@example.com. Decisions are made at the Society for Vascular Surgery® (SVS) Annual Business Meeting, held at the 2013 Vascular Annual Meeting®, May 30 - June 1, 2013. Applicants are notified of their application status by July 1 annually.
Active Membership may be granted to vascular surgeons residing in the United States or Canada who have demonstrated knowledge and skill in the diagnosis and management of vascular disorders by attainment of one of the following categories noted below. Please select the most appropriate category and note the information and materials needed before beginning the online application.
1. Certification in Vascular Surgery from the United States or Canada. If you fall into this category, please have the following information and materials available before beginning this application:
- Letters of Support. Two letters from physicians are required, one of which must be from an Active SVS member; no more than one can be from someone with whom you have a financial relationship. The letters must comment on the applicant’s commitment to, and practice of, vascular surgery. It is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain their letters and submit them accordingly.
- Applicants for Active membership must document their board certification status.
2. Surgeons whose clinical practice is dedicated primarily to vascular surgery, as demonstrated by case logs, contributions to vascular education and/or research, participation in regional or local vascular societies. If you fall into this category, please have the following information and materials available before beginning this application:
- Letters of Support. Upload letters of support from two SVS members. When SVS members in the community are not available to provide letters of support, letters can be obtained from physicians in leadership positions at institutions where the applicant is a vascular surgeon. Please note that the committee prefers at least; one letter to be from an SVS member
- Details on hospital privileges
- Details on medical school appointments
- Licensure information
- List of publications available to upload
- List of presentations available to upload
- List of research grants available to upload
- List of cases available to upload
Election to Membership
If the Board of Directors and the Membership Committee approve the application, the name of the applicant for Active Membership will be presented to the Society at a regularly convened Annual Business Meeting of the membership for final action. A majority vote of those members present and voting is required for election to Active Membership.
Any applicant who is not approved by the Membership Committee and/or Board of Directors or is not elected by the membership may reapply. A new application must be submitted, including a new completed application form and two new letters of sponsorship, as described above.
Step 1: Complete the online application
Step 2: Download and complete the application payment form and the case log (if chose criterion Number 2)
Application Payment Form.pdfActive Case List.xls
Step 3: Obtain (2) letters of support as outlined in the eligibility section above
Step 4: Gather any presentations, publications, or research grants you wish to attach to your application
Step 5: After completing step 1, send all required documents listed in steps 2-4 as one complete package to firstname.lastname@example.org. All supplemental documents must be sent together via email only.
Completed applications are forwarded to the Membership Committee for review at least one month before the next Annual Business Meeting of the Society. Concomitantly, the names of applicants are sent to the membership of the SVS for comments and recommendations.
The Membership Committee provides the SVS Board of Directors with recommended applicants for board approval and subsequent approval at the regularly convened Annual Business Meeting of the membership for final action. A majority vote of those members present and voting are required for election to active membership. Any applicant who fails to be approved by the Membership Committee and/or Board of Directors or fails to be elected by the membership may reapply.
For questions email SVS Membership Coordinator; Phone: 800-258-7188
Updated September 2012