Deadline extended: June 30, 2015
The International Scholars Program provides scholarships to four qualified young vascular surgeons from countries outside North America. The application process for the 2016 program is open through June 30, 2015.
Winning scholars are expected to spend approximately two weeks in the U.S. to visit various universities and clinics and attend the 2016 Vascular Annual Meeting, to be held June 8-11, in Washington D.C.
Working with a mentor, the scholar will visit clinical, teaching and research programs. Visits may be scheduled prior to the Vascular Annual Meeting, post meeting, or a combination of both. Scholars will work with mentors to schedule activities.
A letter is required from each scholar’s supervisor, indicating that dates of travel have been approved.
Scholars are expected to submit a full written report of the experiences provided through the scholarships upon completion of their tours and attend the International Forum during the Vascular Annual Meeting to receive their award.
Winning scholars receive a $5,000 stipend, which is presented during the International Reception on June 8, 2016, to defray travel costs and living expenses associated with the trip.
Scholars also receive complimentary registration to the 2016 Vascular Annual Meeting, which includes all lectures, demonstrations, exhibits and postgraduate courses.
How to Apply
A completed application and all supporting documentation must be received by June 30, 2015. Materials should be emailed to the membership staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
List of Required Application Materials:
(Application and accompanying materials must be in English)
Personal statement (one-page document)
Personal statement should identify your objective, your areas of interest, how you think the experience will impact or improve your career, and which locations you are considering for your visit
3 letters of recommendation
Letters must be submitted on sponsor's official company letterhead
One letter of
recommendation must be from the chair of the department in which they hold an academic appointment or a member of the
Society for Vascular Surgery who resides in the applicant’s country
The letter from the chair or SVS member must include a specific
statement detailing the nature and extent of the teaching and other academic involvement of the applicant
List of publications
Three completed publication reprints of your choice
Abstracts are acceptable, but full manuscripts preferred
Curriculum Vitae of no more than 10 pages
To qualify for consideration by the selection committee, all of the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- Applicant must be a graduate of a school of medicine.
- Applicants must be no older than 40 in the year they submit their application.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at the intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research in accordance with the standards of the applicant’s country.
- Applicants must have at least one year and a maximum of 5 years teaching experience. Applicants whose careers are in the developing stage are deemed more suitable. Those applicants who are serving in senior academic appointments will be excluded.
- The International Scholars Award must be used in the year for which it is designated. It may not be postponed.
- Must have strong proficiency in English to benefit fully.
- Scholars must be present at the Vascular Annual Meeting in order to receive their award (including the International Forum, International Fast-Talk, and International Reception)
- An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a new application form, together with updated supporting documentation.
Selection and Notification
Applications are reviewed by the International Relations Committee.
All applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision in August 2015.
Please contact membership staff at email@example.com or 312-334-2323.