Countries with at least 15 approved Society for Vascular Surgery® (SVS) members may request permission to organize an international chapter. Chapter designation may be applied for at any time and will be expeditiously considered by the SVS Board of Directors.
SVS members in that country should send the following to the SVS secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter expressing interest in organizing an international chapter
- Draft written bylaws, and
- Proposed officers for the chapter.
Each chapter is responsible for the legal issues of incorporation and compliance of the chapter’s bylaws within the laws of that country. Chapter bylaws may not be inconsistent with the bylaws, principles and objectives of the SVS.
The SVS International Relations Committee reviews international chapter applications and makes recommendations to the SVS Board of Directors. Once the Board of Directors determines that the proposed chapter and bylaws are in order, SVS issues a chapter charter signifying existence of the new chapter. No formal recognition of a chapter can be made until the SVS Board of Directors has reviewed the formal petition for a charter and acted favorably. International chapters will remain in effect at the discretion of the SVS Board of Directors.
Guidelines for Chapter Bylaws
Bylaws for international chapters should include the following:
- Specify the name of the chapter organization
- Specify the objectives of the chapter organization, for example:
- To promote close fellowship among members to improve quality of care for the vascular surgical patient.
- To provide a medium though which surgical experiences may be presented and discussed, such as an annual meeting.
- To serve as a meeting ground for discussing common problems and shared interests.
- To encourage membership in the SVS.
- Specify that all SVS members residing in that country are eligible for membership in the chapter. Different categories of membership may be created, such as active, senior, or candidate. Rights and privileges of each membership category should be specified.
- Specify the method of electing and terminating members.
- Specify any required meetings of members and manner of voting.
- Specify chapter officers, their duties, and manner of election.
- Specify the governing structure of the chapter, such as a board of directors, to include election, meetings, and manner of voting.
- Specify any standing committees.
- Specify any financial and legal issues binding the chapter in that country, such as fiscal year, dues, rules of procedure, and legal indemnification.
- Specify that neither the chapter nor its officers, nor any member of the chapter, is authorized to represent or, in any way bind, SVS.
Posted September 2010