The Society for Vascular Surgery recognizes the growing importance of vascular surgery worldwide. As of October 2013, there were SVS members in 52 countries.
SVS international membership is available to surgeons outside the United States and Canada. The online application deadline is March 1 annually. Applicants are approved at the membership business meeting held during the Vascular Annual Meeting in June.
SVS Membership Benefits
- Exclusive use of SVS member logo in correspondence and practice information
- Discounted dues for members in some countries
- Discounted Vascular Annual Meeting registration fees for many countries
- Free print subscriptions to Journal of Vascular Surgery and Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders
- Eligibility to compete for SVS awards and scholarships including international traveling fellowship
- Opportunity to participate in the International Forum at the Vascular Annual Meeting
- International guest reception immediately following the International Forum at the Vascular Annual Meeting
International members also enjoy the full benefits of membership, except they cannot vote on society business, hold elected office or serve as members of the Councils or Board of Directors.
Vascular Annual Meeting
The Vascular Annual Meeting is considered the premier meeting on vascular health. In addition to the outstanding sessions presented by leading vascular surgeons, the meeting offers opportunities to network with colleagues, experience the latest technology, and share knowledge. World-renowned researchers present their studies and findings during the meeting. Postgraduate courses provide in-depth knowledge on current vascular health topics.
The 2014 International Forum
will feature research by authors from throughout the world, and will be held on Wednesday, June 4, from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. The forum takes place one night prior to start of the 2014 Vascular Annual Meeting in Boston. International authors have been selected to present their abstract selections and each speaker is given five minutes to present with an additional five minutes allotted for discussion afterward. Abstracts from around the world have been selected for this session.
International Scholars Program
The Society for Vascular Surgery International Scholars Program provides grants to young vascular surgeons to attend the Vascular Annual Meeting and visit medical and university sites following the meeting to observe clinical, teaching, and research activities in the United States and Canada. Since 2008, SVS has hosted 26 scholars from all over the world, including countries such Australia, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ireland, Latvia, Peru, Russia, Thailand, and Turkey. The scholarship program is funded in part by the Haimovici Endowment. The four scholarships provide each scholar with an opportunity to participate in the 2015 Vascular Annual Meeting. The deadline for submission is June 14, 2014.
SVS International Chapters
German speaking countries (Austria, Germany, Switzerland)
President: Calógero Presti
Vice-President: Fausto Miranda Jr.
General Secretary: Carlos Eduardo Virgini
President: Rafael Garrido-Solano
Vice-President: Ignacio Ucros-Diaz
Secretary: Daniel Imbaburu-Lizarralde
Secretary Substitute: Alejandro Molina-Hernandez
Medical Auditor: Diego Fajardo-Saavedra
President: Ashraf M. Hidayet
President Elect: Hassan Soliman
Vice President: Saeed Al Mallah
Secretary General: Ahmed A. Taha
German Speaking Chapter
President: Gustav Fraedrich
Vice-President: Eike Sebastian Debus
Secretary: Lorenz Guerke
Hungarian Chapter (Emerick D. Szilágyi Society)
President: Csaba Dzsinics
Secretary: Lajos Matyas
Treasurer: István Mogan
President: Kumud Rai
President: Carlo Setacci
Vice-President: Piergiorgio Settembrini
Secretary: Piergiorgio Cao
President: Tomasz Zubilewicz
Secretary: Stanisław Przywara
How to Develop a SVS Chapter
- There must be 15 SVS members in the country or region
- Proposed bylaws and officers must be developed
- Chapter status must be requested from SVS
Global Benefits of Becoming a Chapter
- Closer ties among vascular specialists worldwide will benefit the specialty by providing a global perspective
- Provides an opportunity for international societies to affiliate with the premier vascular society in North America
- Access to a Speakers Bureau for international meetings
- Opportunity to participate in an international paper forum at the Vascular Annual Meeting
International Relations Committee
The SVS International Relations Committee initiates and oversees SVS international activities.
Updated September 2013