Distinguished Fellow designation of the Society for Vascular Surgery® (SVS) shall be bestowed upon Active, International, or Senior members who are vascular surgeons and who distinguish themselves in a sustained manner by making substantial contributions in two of three categories: research, service, or education.
- Complete the application form (PDF or Word doc)
- Submit detailed curriculum vitae
- Obtain three letters of support from Distinguished Fellows of SVS - one from a sponsor and two from endorsers. Letters from all three Distinguished Fellows shall vouch for the applicant’s character, professional integrity, and standing in the community of vascular surgeons.
The letters of support shall outline the eligibility of the applicant in one or more of the following areas:
A. General Criteria
- Contributions must be sustained
- There must be broad recognition of excellence and competence
- Peer-reviewed publications are expected
- The Committee may invite independent reviews
B. Research and Scholarly Activities
- Original basic and/or clinical contributions that advance the field of vascular surgery
- Publications in peer-reviewed, quality journals
- Continued grant support or research awards
- Independent investigation
- Membership on a grants review panel or editorial boards
- Invited lectures and visiting professorships
C. Professional Service
- Innovation (technique or concept)
- Exemplary role model
- Leadership positions in regional or other national vascular societies
- Evidence of ongoing academic productivity
- Formal evaluation, awards
- Publications on issues dealing with education
- Academic rank will be considered
- Track record of mentoring
The deadline for all application materials is March 1, 2013.
All materials should be mailed to the following address:
Chair of Fellows Council
Society for Vascular Surgery
633 N. Saint Clair St., 22nd Floor
Chicago, IL 60611
The Distinguished Fellows Council of the SVS serves as a Selection Committee. Members of the Fellows Council may seek additional information regarding the applicants from individuals who may have first hand knowledge of their qualifications. Applicants who are elected by a majority of the votes of the Fellows present at the Society’s Annual Business Meeting, which is held in June, shall become Distinguished Fellows of SVS.
At the next annual meeting of the Fellows, the new Distinguished Fellows are introduced and given their certificates, which are signed by the President of the Society and the Chair and Vice-chair of the Distinguished Fellows Council. When the new Fellows are introduced, their sponsors briefly describe their accomplishments.
Updated August 2012